Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Encouragement On The First Day of Spring

 
Posted by Picasa

It pleased me very much last Friday when the Wellness Center elder seniors responded with laughter, questions, and their stories at my presentation for Journey With Jeff! We encouraged each other with such comments as, "All the children with Down syndrome I've ever met are very loving." Of course, I was happy to agree with this! One mother has a son who is differently abled whom she knows she will lose soon. I'm glad she could share that grief. Caregivers need caregiving,too. A woman said there were twins in her family years ago, both of whom had special needs. Many resources were not available then as they are today. One of the boys grew up to live a fairly normal life, while the other was shut away from the public eye. An Asian grandmother asked me if I agreed with her about not allowing the teacher of her granddaughter, who is an adopted child from China, to put her back in the previous grade now, instead of in September. My encouragement was to agree that she tell her children this. Before my presentation began, a woman bought Journey With Jeff, but her husband said he had no time to read such books. As everyone was leaving, he said, "I think you've convinced me that I should read your book, too." Yea! Now that was encouragement for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment