Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Aha Moments

Talk about inspiration! Mike from Mutual of Omaha, the 'official sponsor of the aha moment,' responded to my July 3rd blog, "Music, Music, Music." He said he really enjoyed this great post. "I have always marveled at the connection kids have with music, and special needs kids are no exception!" he said. "I thought you might enjoy this video in which Jack tells a story about helping a special needs boy sing a song in a talent show. They BOTH got alot out of it: ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/203." Jack says, "I'll never forget that kid. He changed my life." As a professional musician, Jack had been hired for the summer to play piano in the great parlor of a summer resort. This ten year old boy hung out there listening to him play the piano. One day he asked Jack if he knew 'A Little Help From My Friends" from the Beatles. He played it and the boy sang it perfectly, then asked if he could be in the weekly talent show. They checked it out with his parents, who were very hesitant and afraid for him. Jack told them, "You know, he'll be with me. I think he'll be able to do it." Jack continues, "The night of the talent show, he gets up there and he knocks it out of the park. There wasn't a dry eye in the house." This joyful moment inspired Jack to look into another career. He earned his Master's in psychology and social work, working with kids. Aha moments ~~~ such wonderful serindipity!

No comments:

Post a Comment