Friday, March 19, 2010

Adopted Children with Down Syndrome


"The cover of your book about your son, Jeff has his picture on it when he was one or two, doesn't it?" asked the sales clerk when I checked on its progress at Alpha and Omega. "No, Jeff was four in that picture. He has Down Syndrome." The man's manner brightened immediately. "We have a lady who works in here who adopted two children with Down Syndrome, a girl and boy only four months apart. She wanted them to grow up together. She has six other children who do not have Down Syndrome. This is one special lady!!" He was enthusiastic to tell me he had invited them out to his home where they could ride horses, which they thoroughly enjoy. "I love to have them around. There are lots of smiles and hugs, and there is no pretending with them -- they are right up front!" We concluded that the love that children with Down syndrome give is an unconditional love. I remember Jeff often saying to the people in his Lifetime Assistance, Inc. residences "I love you!" Some would say to him, "Ah, Jeff, you say that all the time. You don't mean it." And Jeff would simply reply, "I love you!" and leave it at that. This conversation in the store was a great blessing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment