Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Community Support at WBTA--Batavia,NY


Wanda Frank, WBTA Host, was a great encourager as I spoke about "Journey With Jeff; Inspiration for Caregivers of People With Special Needs," this morning. My writer buddy, Joe Langen was there too, to present this as a springboard for the GO ARTS program across the street next Tuesday evening. Wanda asked me about what Jeff was like as he grew (happy, busy, loving music, loving people;)what I said to people who stared or were negative ("Hi, this is Jeff. What's your name?" - he's a regular person;) what helped me as Jeff grew up(patient friends, teachers, and doctors, and reading as much as I could get my hands on;) when I decided to write this book (when a doctor told me "These children never learn to read. They never go to school. They never This. They never That;" and how I wrote the book (by bringing together Jeff's Progress Report I kept in the back of his photo album, and my Journaling when I felt challenged, or full of joy.) In the one minute left to sum up, I said, "I wrote this book to encourage caregivers of people with special needs, including the Sandwich Generation who care for aging parents as well as children. I wrote it so they will never feel as if they are all alone." I hope the people who heard the program on WBTA will want to hear more at the GO ART presentation in Batavia on Tuesday evening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment