Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Movin' On (Conclusion)


Sometimes I even forgot about Jeff...a thought of him would surprise me as I passed his old room. Guilt! Guilt! How could I forget my own child? I had to ask God to forgive me for trying to be "Super Mom!" I was acting as if I should be able to handle this major change in our lives with no trouble at all! My own free time was filling up with new activities. Now I could be on the Lutheran Church Women's Board. I went to a counselor for help with this major change in our lives. She said I was like a kid let loose in a candy store -- I wanted it all -- now! After four months at MDC, Jeff moved into the Lettington Drive Residence. More caring people continued moving in and out of our lives, surprising us with their capabilities and availability. Jeff tested the staff as they encouraged his independence. He didn't want to do all that work around his house. He wanted to play his records up in his room. "I want to come home, Mom." I shook my head, choked up. The final time he asked, he said, "I want to go home, Mom...Tough?" Where had he heard that response? From me? From the staff? Lifetime Assistance Inc (LAI) opened a Residence in Brockport. Five years ago in August Jeff became part of the family of ten. Now he was closer to home! People in Jeff's residence go out to so many activities together! They go to the Ice-Capades, circuses, magic shows, games, movies, parties, picnics, out to dinner...I'm jealous! Several people come to the Seeds Group from the LAI Residence. We get to see Jeff there at least twice a month. And he and I share a whole week at Camp Joy. We have him home for a few days at holiday times. The staff help him get to our church several Sunday mornings. We see him at LAI parties and picnics and games. It's good to have him come home, and it's good to see him go. We stay on top of things with the staff -- ask questions, help out. We're a team...with a fierce detrmination for Jeff. Leaving home is hard all the way around...But it's pure joy to see how much these young men CAN do in God's world. Just watch, my fellow-parents! You'll see!~~~ (Journey With Jeff: Inspiration for Caregivers of People with Special Needsis available on Amazon.com. Note their descriptions and reviews.)

No comments:

Post a Comment