Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Even Churches Have Special Needs

 
Our Bishop, Marie Jerge has blessed me with stories of the ways she has used Journey With Jeff in her ministry within the whole, church-wide ELCA. This weekend she shared this story: A church was closing its doors forever, and Bishop Marie wanted to help them in their grief, and encourage them to continue trusting God. She chose a letter I wrote to God near the end of Jeff's life to illustrate: "O God! My heart is broken with the suffering of Jeff. I ask you to have much mercy. He's ready to go and see Jesus, to take Jesus' hand...he's so weak. After I asked yesterday that no tube be put down his stomach for food, I thought of the enormity of that decision, but medication for seizures didn't stop the one he went through for an hour and a half the night before! O Lord, have mercy! Signed, Your Sybil~~~~ My Sybil, my dear, dear Sybil. My Bob and my Jennifer and several of Jeff's friends whose hearts he has captured are hurting, too. I hear your prayers. My Son died, too. My parent's heart hears yours. Trust me, My child, please. Trust into My care Jeff Reisch. I know how hard it is to wait for me to take him Home with Me. The hugs you're getting and giving are My hugs, My presence. Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; yea, wait for the Lord! I love you. I hear you! Trust Me. I will not leave you comfortless. You saw a huge rainbow through the hospital window, a sure sign of My presence with you through it all! Praise me, and remember...lean hard! Signed, Immanuel -- God with us!" Bishop Marie was a caregiver to people at a church struggling with special needs, and as she quotes "Journey With Jeff" she continues to bless me!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment