Sunday, February 28, 2010

Singing to Grandbabies

 
From the moment the tenor grandfather could finally hold his granddaughter, born prematurely at 24 weeks, he sang to her! She struggled with lung, heart and brain issues, and his singing calmed her. Our congregation, and many other people held this baby with special needs in prayer. She lived for 162 days, affecting the lives of many. At her Memorial Service this weekend, her grandfather sang, acappella, "Here I am, Lord." Cheeks were wet. Sniffles were audible. Music is such a special way to communicate!!~~~When my children were small, my mother used her beautiful voice to sing to Jeff and his sister, Jennifer. (See photo.) When Jeff had trouble with his seizures, and said with panicked eyes, "My head moved, Mom!" I remember singing nursery rhymes with him until he quieted down.~~~ When Jennifer's children were born they lived 1000 miles away, and I feared that our grandkids would not know who we were. I read stories on tape for them to listen to in the car as they traveled, singing the rhymes to them, wrapping them in a long-distance hug each time. Singing to grandbabies is a special way to communicate.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment