Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Caregivers for Special Needs People

 
Before Jeff was born, caregiving was going on for children with Down syndrome in this upstate NY home. I visited with my friend, Joan when we were studying to be teachers at OSUNY near-by. Because Joan was familiar with Downs children, she knew Jeff had Down syndrome long before the E.N.T. doctor suggested it to Bob and me. Now, more than 50 years later, this home has become a Village -- of NINE homes. Lois Ennis has been a caregiver here for 21 years. After reading "Journey With Jeff; Inspiration for Caregivers for People with Special Needs," Lois writes: "In reading this book, I learned that Jeffrey was a very loving person. He brought joy and laughter to everyone he came in contact with, and they all loved him. Yes, there were very difficult times, but God pulled everybody through it." She continues, "I take care of children and adults, ages 10 - 69, with Down syndrome. I always remember that they depend on me and I need patience during a tough situation, but at the end of the day, the joys outweigh everything else. I'm so glad Jeffrey had his family, friends and music throughout his life, and so many programs to help him. This book was amazing, and a learning experience for anyone who will be connected somehow with special needs people. God bless Sybil and her family."~~~God truly HAS blessed our family with the stories of widening circles from the pebble of Jeff's life. Thank You, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment