Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jeff's story becomes their story

Just finished reading, "Miracle in the Andes," by Nando Parrado. The trek to get help when his rugby team crashed in the Andes is a story of perseverance, and I couldn't put it down. For a long time Nando wouldn't do speaking engagements because he didn't believe he was the hero the media was painting him. Finally, he gave in and discovered that his Andes story paralleled stories of his listeners. A woman who had accidentally backed over her 2 1/2 year old in the driveway, killing her said, "I know now that I have to go on. I have to find the strength to live for my husband and my other children. Your story makes me believe it is possible." This parallel happens as people read "Journey With Jeff." A special education teacher writes: "I was born two months early. My mom had trouble carrying babies full term. I stopped breathing and as a result had mild Cerebral Palsy. I was considered spastic paraplegic. It just affected my legs. I wore braces until the age of eight, and was delayed in lots of things! Doctors said I'd never walk, ride a bike, etc. I started walking at the age of 2 and rode a bike at 10 or 12. I was always good in school cognitively but was afraid to try sports. Probably that's why I am in my profession today. All my therapists were great. I loved the early start that all the "special teachers" gave me. Thanks for writing your book! Many people will love it, just as I have!" I really appreciate hearing from those who have read "Journey With Jeff"!

No comments:

Post a Comment