Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Memories Jogged!

Michael Constanza interviewed me re: "Journey With Jeff" for the Spencerport-Hilton Post, which I'm hoping will appear in this Thursday's issue. When he called back and asked what it was like to work for the Greece School District I told him it was a great experience. The teachers and counselors were supportive, and I often worked with the students in their home, or the library, or in the hospital. The common ground for me and the parents was that I also had a child with special needs. Mr. Constanza started the memories flowing, and I pulled the file of students I'd kept, checking details and dates. There was the seventh grader who was a computer whiz back in 1985 who wanted to work for IBM. He came to tell me about a dozen years ago that indeed he was a CEO at IBM. One of my students taught me what a switchblade looked like, but quickly put it away when I told him the librarian might take it away if she saw it. There was a bar-mitzvah I was invited to attend. Today a former student recognized me in the mall even though I'd retired in 2000! She thanked me for encouraging her at Hillside. Now she's going to MCC, along with being a wife and mother. It has been a rewarding journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment