Friday, October 10, 2008

Cherish Our Children


Found myself rooming with two Special Education teachers at our Lutheran Women's annual convention, a mother and her daughter. This young daughter, Lee Anne, and another first timer shared with me a great deal of their work with people with special needs. Lee Anne had trouble sleeping in a strange place the first night, so she took "Journey With Jeff" with her to sit and read in the light near the elevators. She said she couldn't put it down, and to my delight, she memorized many of the stories! The other first timer, Kim, now works with people with emotional and behavior problems. She said several times that her favorite people to work with are those with Down syndrome. She also bought a copy of "Journey With Jeff," and complimented me with the words, "You are my mentor." Three books went home with new friends, and three more with long-time friends. It was a blessed weekend in many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment