Friday, October 31, 2008

Moving Into a Residence

"When God leads you to the edge of the cliff, trust Him fully and let go, only 1 of 2 things will happen, either He'll
catch you when you fall, or He'll teach you to fly." I forwarded this beautiful message to a number of my e-mail
friends, including the mother of a boy in NC whom I met this summer. She replied: "This couldn't have come at a better time. I have really been having a tough time with my son. He has been acting out again. I don't know why he feels like he can attack his grandmother but he does. (In March my blog was about the dignity of risk for this child with special needs going out into the scary world to work a job. The grandmother wanted to do everything for him and protect him .) We have started Respite and about to begin developmental therapy with him. I truly do not want to place him in a group home. I have discussed this with him and he just says, "Mom, please don't put me in a group home." It just breaks my heart. I have been doing alot of praying and asking that God guide me through this. I tell you being a parent of a handicaped person can be so hard sometimes!! Well, only God knows the future. I just needed to vent this to you." I thanked her for sharing her tough time, and suggested she ask the people who are helping her with Respite and therapy to help her get in touch with parent or two of "our kids" who are already living in a group home. They can tell her first hand about their experiences. I reminded her that Jeff lived in a residence for 9 years, and that we worked together as a team all the way. I pray God will grant the professionals around them much wisdom, and grant her and her son His perfect peace as they work through this. I pray she'll take her time, and know that she is not alone. (Photo is Jeff on front steps of his Residence in Brockport.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment