Monday, November 24, 2008

Bouquets From Anna, a Long-ago College Pal

Dear Sybil, When our mutual friend, Lynne told me about your book I wanted one also -- mostly because I remember you from OSTC, but also because my daughter who lives in Michigan is bringing up a handicapped son. He has been diagnosed as autistic.
I visited her when he was about two and he seemed perfectly normal to me, but soon after he had his DPT shots he seemed to change. I have heard autism is hard to find and doesn't show up much before they are two. She has special people working with him and an assistant teacher helping him in school. He is on medication and a very special diet which eliminates sugar, gluten, milk and milk products. He does well academically, but socialization and safety rules are a problem. He's 11 now and as tall as I am, but can't be trusted to look before crossing a street or a parking lot. ~~~I am convinced that the Lord sends special children to special people and you are definitely one of those. Being a caregiver all those years required tremendous stamina. We may not always understand why the Lord works the way He does, but we must never doubt Him. Anna ends this kind letter with a poem by D. De Haan:"Lord may we see in those we meet the imprint of Your image fair, and may their special dignity grow stronger from our love and care."

No comments:

Post a Comment