Friday, February 15, 2008

Blasts From the Past

 
Since the column Mark Hare wrote in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle came out this week I have heard from people who have not been in our lives for a long time. One person wrote that she, too was touched by Jeff when we lived in Hamlin. (The photo in this post was taken on the day of Jennifer's confirmation.) "Also," she said, "you helped me understand the concept of the trinity, which I was struggling with. You said to think of an egg. It has three parts, but is one. Though it was for a short time, the crossing of our paths has been an eternal one for me. God bless you and your family." I wish this friendship hadn't escaped my memory. It would be nice to meet her face to face again. In 2000, before I retired, I checked in regularly with a special friend who was helping me gain a healthy weight. We often talked about our families, and she knew we were considering the possibility of moving closer to family in Atlanta. When she read the column she called and said she was delighted to know we were still in the area and had not moved. (No!! Jennifer and her family have moved from Atlanta to Rochester to be near family. We are so glad!) I am trying to get in touch with anther mother of a child with disabilities. Her son died a few years ago. She read Mark Hare's column and called him to tell him about the postcards Bob and I used to send her son whenever we went out of town. People here in Rochester have congratulated me on the column (Mark Hare did a sterling job of capturing our life with Jeff!), put it on our church bulletin board, and sent me copies. I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the news of "Journey With Jeff; Inspiration for Caregivers of People with Special Needs" getting out there!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment