Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Caregivers at Passavant ~~150 Years Ago

I met Dolores Fruth at my presentation of "Journey With Jeff" at the Passavant Retirement Community in Zelienople, PA in May. I was impressed with her 25 year history of working at a Home in Rochester, PA for the care of epileptic and mentally retarded adults. Passavant Memorial Home and the Retirement Community were named after a great man who in the 1800's went about establishing churches, children's homes, hospital, colleges and seminaries. ~~~When Dolores' husband, Bill was called as the Administrator and Pastor of the facility, there were almost 100 residents -- at a time when there was little or no support from the government. They relied upon churches in that area to help support the Home. The Fruths lived with the residents on the grounds and felt that they were their family. Dolores said it was a long hard struggle for 25 years, working and praying and trying to improve their family's lot in life. This is Dolores' first poem after moving to Passavant~~~~
WHAT IS A MOTHER?
Ninety people call me "Mom." I don't know how I rate.
Their ages go to 84 And I'm just 48.
I plan their meals and buy the clothes, Take care of many needs.
We play and work together now, So caring is a breeze.
The family here at Passavant Has taught me how to share
My mother instincts with the ones who now are in our care.
God give me strength to do the best As we live with each other,
To earn the name they place on me, That I am truly "MOTHER!"
~~~How good it is to learn how well the people with special needs were cared for in this Home!! (Photo is of Dolores Fruth and the author in Passavant Retirement Community auditorium.)

No comments:

Post a Comment