Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Down Syndrome News

The Down Syndrome News is the monthly newsletter of the National Down Syndrome Congress.
Lately the issues are full of stories about people with Down syndrome written by people with Down Syndrome. The writer's ages range from 16 - 40. The 16 year old is a drummer who wrote a Game Review of "Guitar Hero" for the Mentor High School newspaper, with some help from his siblings.~~~A 21 year old boy described a plane ride where the flight attendants announced to everyone on the plane that it was his birthday and sang to him. They made a roll of toilet paper into a birthday cake with pretend candles, making it "a real special day!"~~~A Louisiana Self-Advocate earned his Eagle Scout rank and 2 Eagle palms in 1992, and has been active as an assistant Scoutmaster for 16 years. He's also happy working at his church as a custodian three days a week.~~~A 38 year old woman wrote a newspaper piece titled, "I Really Want Them to Treat Me Nice." She says, "Part of my dream is to be independent and help people. I like living by myself. I can make my own decisions and not be told when to do the laundry, when to clean, when to go to my room. I know I have Down syndrome. That's a disability, so I need help. I'm not perfect. I know I am not like others, but I really want them to treat me nice."~~~On the Heading of these news stories, the word 'Down' in Down syndrome is crossed out, and 'Up' is written instead. They are truly Self-Advocates!! (Photo is of Jeff in his hero outfit, with his friends.)

No comments:

Post a Comment