Saturday, May 30, 2009

Caregivers at Convention

Caregivers are found everywhere! The fellow who typed my message on powerpoint about "Journey With Jeff" for a repetition cycle throughout our intermissions during our Synod Lutheran Conventionthis week said his wife and daughter are involved with programs for people with special needs. His daughter will be helping out at Camp Joy this summer. They also are caring for his mother -- in a "Sandwich Generation" situation. I autographed his copy of "Journey of Jeff" to his whole family of caregivers.~~~During a breakfast conversation with Joan, a new friend, she asked me about my children. I told her how Jeff lived with Down Syndrome and Jen was a National Honor Society member, a huge difference on the spectrum. In order to help Jeff develop and become all he was capable of being, I earned my masters in special education. Joan's mother is involved with people with special needs, too, and while she was growing up there was a young woman in their family who had Down Syndrome. Her mother came down with Multiple Sclorosis, and the young woman cared for her until she died. Then she cared for her aging father until he died. What an interesting switch in the role of caregiving! God is full of surprises!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment