Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Journey With Jeff in Hometown Library

This weekend has been full of inspiration, encouragement, family and friends! Since one of my
High School classmates knew I'd be in Middleburgh, NY, for my
nephew John Paul's 40th birthday, he arranged a presentation of Journey with Jeff at my hometown library. Usually 8 - 15 people attend the library presentations. There were 12 who came this time -- schoolmates (some with spouses,) cousins, teachers and librarians. As I shared how I came to write Jeff's story, and our joys and challenges along the way, I read three vignettes: "Welcome To Holland," which helps people stop mourning what they wish their child could have become, but open their arms to the trip to come; "Movin' On" which includes many of the events and emotions of Jeff moving from home; and "Big Bird's Car," my favorite story, and one which causes much laughter.~~~Six people bought a copy of Journey With Jeff, and a few shared their own stories. One woman bought a copy for her sister whose daughter has severe Cerebral Palsy. I learned that a young man in his 30's was there, along with his parents, who is slowly deteriorating, and the doctors can do nothing about it. They seem to be handling it bravely. I left a book for the Middleburgh Library shelves as well. I hope the people will Read It, Review It, and Pass It On!

No comments:

Post a Comment