Saturday, August 29, 2009

"Journey With Jeff" Showcased at Barnes & Noble

 
"Did you write this book about caregivers?" another author at our Barnes & Noble Author Showcase asked me as we were packing up to go home. "Yes, Jeff lived with Down Syndrome for 27 years," I replied. "He was our son." Handing me the beautiful display print of his poem, "Snowflake," written in caligraphy, he said, "Then this is for you." The poem was poignant, and reminded me of Emily Peri Kingsley's metaphor of a journey titled, "Welcome To Holland," (Pp. 17-18 in Journey With Jeff.) I share here, C. W. Matthews' gift of "Snowflake" for me:~~~"I watched in silent awe, as it fell towards the earth....Dancing to and fro, in a silent sort of mirth. It's singular crystalline shape, was the only one of its kind....To fall earthward from the sky, since the origin of time. As the crystal began to melt, and slowly disappeared from sight....I came to understand the gift, He gave me on that crisp snowy night. You see....like that little snowflake....I am truly one of a kind....Singularly unique....in body, soul and mind."~~~Yes, Jeff was one of a kind. Singularly unique. God's gift to us, and, to the world! Praise God!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment