Tuesday, April 15, 2008

She Slept on My Couch!


Back in the mid-eighties, we ran into a "rough patch" by being part of the Sandwich Generation. Bob's dad died in 1984, and my mom died in June, 1985. She had been taking care of my dad who had a hip replacement about a dozen years earlier ~~ which hadn't healed well. I think she was just plain tired! Dad's sister moved in with him and often asked me if I would come home (to Middleburgh, NY, near Schenectady) to help. A close friend I had known when we were at Oneonta SUNY lived on Route #20, right on the way to Middleburgh. Usually on my way home from Caregiving with my dad and aunt, I would stop at her house ~~ exhausted, often frustrated, and more than ready to hug my husband and kids again. Before continuing on the rest of the five hour trip, I'd sometimes sleep a while on her couch. After reading the above blog about 300 books, plus royalties, she wrote: "Congratulations! An author! I knew her when. She slept on my couch. Seriously, I am so happy for you. Your's is the kind of a book that if it helps one person, it's worth it. And with three hundred and who knows how many more out there, I am sure it will help many." Thanks, Tut! I love my cheering section!!

No comments:

Post a Comment