Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Intensity of Raising Jeff and Jennifer

 
I remember reading a book by Annie Dillard about living a life so deeply consecrated that it would be like a moth attracted to a candle. The moth would be so intense about the flame that he would actually fly into it and be consumed. ~~~ As I remember, Annie Dillard wrote that we needed to be so intense about our mission in life that we could be consumed with it. At that point in my life, I was bringing up a son with Down Syndrome and a daughter with high grades in school. Life was intense!! I was trying to learn all I could to help my son develop and become all God had made him to be, as well as our daughter. I saw myself consumed with this challenge!!! And, it felt good to have such a purpose!!~~~ I was also trying to gather all the notes I had written since Jeff was six years old (1967) when I began listing all the things this child COULD do. 30 - no, 40 years later "Journey With Jeff" was ready for the world! Publishers said, "This is lovely, but we can't use it," so I read the 155 stories onto 5 CDs. These also are available, for enjoyment as you drive. Send an e-mail to rsreisch@frontiernet.net. (Photo is Jeff helping his Jennifer learn to walk.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment