Saturday, August 2, 2008

Travel Challenges with Kids with Special Needs

 
There were three young adults with special needs that I noticed in the airport on my way to and from Tulsa, OK, in July. Two were sitting quietly on the floor, or in a special chair. The young man on my flight was sitting with his mom, grandma, and two siblings in front of the huge tarmac window. "No!" he'd shout out now and again. Every so often his mom would say, "You need to stop that," and he did for a while. "I'm sorry you don't feel well," she said -- he refused any food she offered him. His family appeared to ignore him most of the time. When we boarded the plane, he and his mom sat across the isle from us. He continued to moan, and make nervous noises and gestures. One of the teenagers in front of me made a remark that prompted his seat-mate to say, "Stop it!" After the plane finally took off, he leaned his head on his mother's shoulder and arm, and went to sleep until we were back on the ground. When we were waiting to deplane, I said to him, "You did a good job!" and he grinned. "Yes, didn't he!" said his mom, "Thank you!" ~~~This experience reminded me of the time 12-year-old Jeff and his sister, Jennifer (7) and I flew to Colorado to visit a friend. Jeff was very nervous, and was nauseous when we landed. Jen made no indication she was having a hard time, too. Being the sibling of someone with special needs carries a special challenge of its own. (Photo of Reisch family visiting)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Sybil, I too live in Bkpt and I intend to read your book. But my question is I need your help and don't have an email address for you. I have written a children's book about disabilities and want to publish. What can you tell me about Book Surge your publisher, and am I looking at having to win the lotter to publish my book. Please help. Any advice would be welcome.

    ReplyDelete