Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Return to Camp Joy

 
Carnival Night began the week-long evening festivities at Camp Joy on Monday. I helped encourage campers to try their hand at tossing "food" into net pockets to feed the animals on Noah's ark, cheering their efforts. Enjoyed talking to many of the staff I was part of for many years. Joan Van de Wall, Camp Joy Director, has purchased quite a few copies of "Journey With Jeff" from me, and given a number out to her staff. What a joy when some brought the book to me to be autographed! Leaving five more books there, I am so glad to be able to encourage these caregivers with "Journey," and, to say thank you! This is Camp Joy's 27th year, and Jeff was involved for 7 years before the Lord called him Home. The above photo was taken his last summer there. He considered the woman kneeling beside his wheelchair his true love for a very long time. Diane had been on the staff, and the Wednesday night SEEDS program, since the beginning. Last night Howie, the Camp Joy guy who used to pretend he was going to capture Diane, said, "My fondest memory is Jeff in his helmet and his Superman cape ready to protect her from me."
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment