Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Grant Me the Serenity to Accept the Things I Cannot Change

Today I was surprised by the turn of a conversation with a colleague at our Lifetime Assistance Inc. December meeting. Discussing writing and my present marketing of "Journey With Jeff" I mentioned I'm thinking about a second book which would include the responses of people who had read "Journey," especially the mother who wrote that she could finally work through the last of her "mourning" over the loss of the child she'd hoped for, and was now ready to accept her son just as he is. ~~~"That's why I appreciate your book about Jeff," my friend said today. "My husband has brain injuries from an auto-motorcycle accident six years ago, and I also have had to get to the point of saying, 'Yes, this is who he is now - not the same man that I married." She shared how she and her family have dealt with this 'mourning,' this dose of reality, this grounding of expectations for who he is now. Not only is she a caregiver with LAI, but one at home as well. I offer her my deep respect! (Photo-Garden Step imprinted with Serenity Prayer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment