Thursday, May 1, 2008

Plugging "Journey" into Spirituality and Aging


I wasn't eager to attend a day-long meeting of the Lutheran Christians in Action for Seniors Team today. "What have I gotten myself into," I muttered, "signing up as a facilitator?!?! My plate is full of marketing, and activities at church, etc., etc. I was looking for things to give up!" But I sensed the Lord nudging me to go each time it came to mind. (I have something inside me that remembers that the more I DON'T want to go someplace, the BETTER time I have.) My friend, Cynthia and her husband were there, and they were the only ones I knew. After Registration, I found their table was already filled. At the next table, I discovered there was a teacher's aide for a class of children with special needs!! At an appropriate time in our conversation I pulled out a copy of "Journey With Jeff," and she and her friend both bought a copy! YES!! When we were all asked to introduce ourselves, I said, "I've written a book about caregiving, and I'm looking for a place to plug it in with the Sandwich Generation and the Aging Generation." The speaker was a Roman Catholic priest from Kansas City, serving in a parish which has begun including children with special needs at their parish school. The workshop began to feel like a Retreat -- which I love! Two identical sets of "Tools for Spiritual Care" were laid out for us -- one for our own spiritual journey, and one for us to use for the seniors in our ministries. I hope the copy of "Journey" I sent home to Kansas with him will be a good resource for his parish and parish school.

No comments:

Post a Comment