Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Visit to the LANDING

 
This afternoon I spent an hour at the LANDING, a Senior Assisted Living Home. Melody Finn invited me to speak after seeing the February article in our Democrat and Chronicle. About 20 older citizens gathered around the fireplace (today was a cold May day,) to hear me share stories from "Journey With Jeff." I have a great respect for these Seniors, who have lived many, many years. When Jennifer was a pre-schooler she went with us Lutheran women every Wednesday morning to explore the crafts and activities at the Chautauqua County Home. The people were delighted to have a small, wide-eyed child around, and Jennifer still enjoys crafts. Today at the LANDING one lady named Peggy and I compared notes about children with Down syndrome, because her grand-daughter, now 31 years old, visits often and fills her life with much love and hugs. We talked about being caregivers to other members of our families, and another resident shared her scary memories of a husband who wandered at night. Sometimes caregiving is terribly difficult. I ended my presentation with my favorite story, "Big Bird's Car," about the miracle of the car Jeff washed inside and out, drying out in warm June breezes, and running again. Someone asked Lance if the car was ever the same, and Lance said it ran for three years afterward just fine!! I tried to find as many stories as possible to draw laughter from the group, and "Big Bird's Car" won.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment