Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Understanding folks

 
47 years ago today Jeff was born -- on a Pentecost morning. I thought of that in my morning Quiet Time, then our beloved brother- and sister-in-law wrote us an e-mail this morning: "Thinking of you today. It's hard to believe Jeff was born that long ago. Your book has made his years seem so recent." Jack and Kathryn were Jeff's godparents, and they continue to cheer for him. Their thoughts made our day -- such understanding folk!! ~~~Later, when I arrived for my monthly maintenance trip to my chiropracter today a young man with Down syndrome came back into the outer office with his mom. As she took care of the payment, I slipped up beside her and showed her a photo of our family, saying, "from one mother to another." She hugged me and burst into tears. She said that her son will need to wear a "halo" to straighten out the way his neck permanently leans to the right. Two doctors have insisted this is the ONLY way they know how to correct it. I said, hopefully, "Maybe you need a third opinion," and the receptionist added, "You have to keep fighting." Trying not to cry, his mother said, "I know you understand." I told her about "Journey With Jeff," and gave her one from my stash in the car, praying that she'll understand that she is not alone. Please, Lord, may she find the time and energy to read "Journey With Jeff." Thank You.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment